Sunday, August 19, 2012

I'm Not A Feminist But.....

I'm not offended by sexist jokes. 

I don't find them particularly funny but I don't get all burn the bra's when I hear a joke that ends with "get back to the kitchen".

What I do take offence to in a slightly annoyed, slightly amused (depending on the day) kind of way, is men and women both assuming because I am female I don't know things.

I work in a traditionally male oriented industry. I have been in the manufacturing/distribution side for well over 10 years, but have made the move to the retail side.

When people call the shop and I answer I am often asked "Can I please talk to someone there that might be able to help me" or "Is there someone technical there" or "I'd like to talk to someone that knows what they are talking about please".

I have noticed whenever any of the males take a call, they are asked the technical question straight away.

When I advise that I can help them with their enquiry, I am often told "ohhh its a bit technical you know". 

When people (male and female) come into my shop, they will often ignore that I am standing there if my staff (who are male) are standing there and talk directly to them. They might have the bad fortune of walking into my shop and only getting me. They will start discussing their problem with me but are so relieved if one of my male staff walks to the counter. They will begin to repeat their story to him.

The funny thing is I am the manager of this shop. One of my favourite moments was a customer that started discussing things with me but my 16 year old shop assistant walked over so he said "Oh actually I'll explain to you the problem and off he went"..so I walked away and watched with amusement. You see the 16 year old was on his second shift ever with us and didn't know a thing! So he told the whole story to him and he said - "Yeh I am going to have to ask my boss" and walked over to me. I said "oh gosh I have no idea, I am just a female honey. You work out the best solution for him."

My husband was in the shop once just standing at the side of the counter waiting for me when a customer walked in and started talking to him even though I asked "How can I help you". My husband answered with "I'll just get the little lady here to see if she can rack her brain for an answer for you". Smart arse!!

Often I am questioned with what my advice is, or even told "can you double check that with one of the men."

Sadly women are very good at doing this to me also.

I am happy to say that my regular customers know to ask me what they need. I have several customers that only come in on the days I am working.

I really like that any male or female under 25 walks in and is confident in my ability to help them out, so I think with time the sexism will stop but until then, this little ol lady will just be here to take the calls and make the coffee!!*


*Please note my employee is 100% non sexist. They have never asked me to make them a coffee, mainly cause they know it would probably taste repulsive!

No comments:

Post a Comment